Pistachio Ice Cream
One of the best pistachio ice creams that I ever had was in Bosnia, except, it wasn't really an ice cream, or a sorbet... It was like a smooth creamy frozen sorbet, and so deliciously nutty and sweet at the same time.
Nevertheless I've dreamt about this delicious memory ever since.
I had read a few recipes which I liked, some more coconut based, others heavy on the sugar, some requiring overnight organisation.
Ultimately though, the recipes came down to a few principles, a milk type substitute, soaked and ground pistachio nuts, sugar, and some fruit to thicken.
I figured, what's the worst that's going to happen with recipe experimentation... well, on the first attempt I made a small batch with too much spinach, then ate it all. Second time I used far too many pistachios, but between AJ and I, we ate it all.
This was the third, and by far, most delicious batch. I had a huge lunch before making it, just so that I... you got it... didn't eat it all before I could share the recipe.
- 350ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 100grams of Pistachios soaked in water for at least an hour
- 100grams of Cashews soaked in water for a least an hour
- 2 ripe avocados pitted
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 100ml liquid sweetener - I used agave nectar
- 150grams of coconut palm sugar
- A large handful of spinach leaves
- 2-3 leaves fresh mint
- 100grams of unsoaked Pistachios to decorate ontop
- Add all of the ingredients except for the unsoaked Pistachio nuts into a blender. Chop the ingredients until they form a smooth paste - you don't want to crunch your way through a bowl of ice cream let alone get a chunk of spinach stuck in your teeth!
- Once blended, scoop into a freezer friendly vessel - I used a loaf tray with baking parchment. Add the remaining pistachio nuts to the top to decorate.
- Leave to freeze for 3-4 hours as a minimum - no ice cream maker or mid freeze blending required!
- Then, enjoy!!
The spinach gives the mixture a beautiful green colour...
^^ and the mint tastes delicious! Next time I'm making a mint choc chip ice cream batch!